What did you think about filling in Harpenden's bomb shelters?
PUBLISHED: 16:46 24 September 2018 | UPDATED: 16:50 24 September 2018
Archaeological Services & Consultancy
We've collated some of your comments on last week's story about Harpenden's leftover bomb shelters.
Work to pour concrete into the shelter hatches underneath Leyton Green, Bower’s Parade and Queens Road began on Monday, September 17.
According to the Harpenden and District Local History Society, excavation work on the Bower’s Parade shelter started just nine days before then-Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain declared war with Germany in 1939.
Robert Waidley said on Facebook: “I believe this is a part of your country’s history from WWII when you stood up against your enemy. Perhaps putting up a steel grating over the entrance might be an idea.”
Luke Ridge added: “I’m sure a Heritage Lottery Fund or Kickstarter to preserve them would have gained decent traction. This just seems like vandalism.”
Jack Goulden agreed, saying: “They should be preserved and maintained!”
Gabriel Waldram said: “They’re arguably the safest place around there.”